Pan Fried Cod in a Citrus & Basil Butter Sauce
- 2 – 8oz White Cod Filets
- 2 – Oranges
- 1 – Lemon
- 1/2 cup of Stone Hill’s Vidal Blanc
- 1/2 cup – Olive Oil, divided
- 3 Tbsp – Unsalted Butter
- 1 tsp – Light Brown Sugar
- Salt and Black Pepper
- Fresh Basil
- Lay the cod filets in a shallow pan or baking dish.
- Zest 1 orange and 1 lemon; add zest to the fish.
- Squeeze the juice from the orange and lemon you just zested and add to the top of the fish.
- Add 1/4 cup of the olive oil and 1/2 cup of Vidal Blanc. Cover and let marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F
- In a large oven safe sauté pan, heat the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil until hot.
- Carefully shake the excess marinade from the fish, saving it, and drop the fish into the pan.
- Season fish with salt and black pepper.
- Cook over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes and then flip and repeat on the other side.
- Place the fish into the oven to keep warm while you make the sauce.
- In a small pan, melt 2 Tbsp of butter and add the sugar and remaining leftover marinade from the fish.
- Slice the remaining orange in half and squeeze juice into pan.
- Bring to a boil, whisking regularly until the sauce has thickened slightly and reduce by almost half.
- Pass the sauce through a sieve and return to the pan.
- Add about 1/4 cup finely shredded basil leaves to the sauce and the remaining 1 Tbsp of butter whisking until the butter melts.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Bring the fish from the oven and place on your plate. Spoon some of the sauce over the fish. Serve with a side of Wild Rice Pilaf and Grilled Asparagus and of course a glass of Stone Hill’s Vidal Blanc!